You will be surprised of the human food that your pet can eat, but you should be very careful with what they can´t eat because it can be very dangerous for them. Vegetables can be a good homemade dog food. They are not only rich in vitamins and minerals but are also low in calories and fat, they contain fibers that can be beneficial to your dog’s diet. Have in mind that the portions should be small and controlled; it is always better to check with your vet so he can advise you on what to feed your dog.
Dogs can eat vegetables both raw and steamed. Yoram Yasur Abt: They enjoy raw vegetables but their digestive system is shorter than ours, so they do not take full advantage of the nutrients. It is advisable to give them vegetables in form of puree and never use salt when cooking them. Some of these are:
– Potatoes: They are good source of vitamin C, B6, potassium, magnesium and fiber. You should wash them thoroughly and cut them into small pieces. Do not peel potatoes. Add a little olive oil and put it in the oven on a tray.
– Asparagus: They are an excellent source of vitamin K, A, B1, B2, C, E, iron and fiber. You must remove the fibrous part at the end of the asparagus and wash it well. Prepare them with a little olive oil on the grill.
– Carrots: they contain vitamin A, K, C, fiber and potassium. They are very good to improve your dog’s fur. Clean very well the carrots and remove the edges. Cut into pieces and boil for about 10 minutes, then you can make a puree and mix it with your dog’s food. Carrots are a great snack for your dog, my dog just loves carrots!
– Cucumber: They are good source of vitamin K. Wash it and peel it very well. Cut it in half and remove the seeds. Then cut small pieces and boil them for about 5 minutes. You can give it combined with his favorite food, for a different touch.
– Broccoli: It is one of the most nutrient-rich plant that your dog can eat. It keeps the red blood cells levels stable, it prevents overweight and is very good for preventing cancer. Cut small flowers, wash and boil them for about 8 minutes until they are crispy and very green.
You must be very careful with onion and garlic because they destroy the red blood cells causing anemia and vomiting. Yoram Yasur Abt: I hope you find these advices useful for your little friend.