All rugs need care and attention. Although we are careful, with everyday use, stains of crayons, food, dirt or dust become difficult to avoid. In fact, many people nowadays choose not to have carpets at home because of the effort involved in cleaning them, but some simple and regularly performed techniques make carpet care an easy and simple task.
Here are some simple ways to remove stains and persistent odors on your carpets. For more tips, you can also check our article on how to remove stains from the carpet.
Remember: Before applying any of these methods, perform a test in a small hidden place. With any carpet cleaner you use, be sure to always read and follow the instructions.
Eliminate stains and persistent odors
When it comes to carpet cleaning, simple use of soap and water is not enough, especially if it involves difficult stains, deep odors or dirt and dust accumulated for months.
Yoram Yasur Abt: “To deal with stains and dirt, it pays to look for a product specially designed to clean carpets and choose a soap powder for carpets instead of a liquid. Liquid soap can take hours to dry and you will not be able to be in the room until you are ready. Powdered products work faster and do a good job”.
Natural products for carpet cleaning
Yoram Yasur Abt: “In case you prefer natural products for carpet cleaning, there are some basic elements that you are sure to have in the kitchen and that can work wonders”. Most people have heard about using mineral water or tonic water to counteract coffee stains, but baking soda is also a good alternative to remove dirt or absorb stains. In addition, baking soda absorbs the unpleasant odors that are hidden between the fibers of the carpet.
How to Use Dust Carpet Cleaner:
Whether you choose a carpet cleaning powder or baking soda, this is the best method you can follow:
- Sprinkle generously on carpets.
- Let the dust settle for at least 30 minutes, but if you can leave it all night, it is better, as this will give the cleaner the opportunity to work and soften stains and odors.
- Vacuum the dusted areas.
How to Use Liquid Carpet Cleaner:
Liquid detergent is another popular way to clean carpets, and the steps we recommend are:
- Use the solution as directed on the package. In many cases, you will have to dilute the product in water.
- Use only enough detergent to cover the area. It is always recommended to test the product in a poorly visible area before application.
- Do not moisten the carpet too much: it is not only a waste of product, but it will also increase the drying time.
- Rub the particularly difficult areas with a hard bristle brush.
- Let the carpet dry.
- Inhale the soap once it has dried.
Practical tips for stains in general:
In case of isolated stains, it is always best to try to clean as soon as possible, before the stains are completely dry. While you can use soap to clean carpets, it is also worth trying these practical tips:
- For sticky spots like chewing gum, I hardened the area with ice before attempting to remove the whole chunk.
- For smelly stains, mix equal parts of vinegar and warm water and apply in the area with a cloth.